Centroid "Oak" closed loop CNC Controller.
A reliable, high performance, industrial quality CNC control at a do-it-yourself price. The Oak utilizes an integrated Motion Control CPU and communicates with CNCPC via a fast and reliable Ethernet connection.
The Oak is a 4 axis CNC control board that is expandable to 8 axis of simultaneous motion. Perfect for many types of machine tools such as: CNC milling machines of all types, Turning Centers and a wide variety of CNC routers and other specialty applications. Typically used on CNC machine tools where a high performance CNC control is needed. Typically used with AC brushless servo in full closed loop operation but also can control DC servos as well. Yaskawa and Delta are recommended servo drive packages for use with Oak but, many others can be controlled by the Oak cnc control board as well. The Oak runs on Centroid proven industrial quality Mill or Lathe CNC control software.
Centroid Oak CNC Controller base kit: Industrial grade DIY CNC control board for all types of CNC machine tools.
Centroid Oak CNC controller kit (part # 13135) includes:
- Oak control board
- Logic power supply with power leads
- Connector kit
- 15’ Shielded Ethernet cable
- Centroid CNC11 CNC software Mill and Lathe
- Typical CNC machine tool pre-programmed PLC Inputs and Outputs
- Mill and Lathe Conversational Programming Software
- Installation and Operator’s manuals PDF
- Full Size Paper Wiring Schematic
- DIY self service CNC support through Centroid Community CNC Forum which is Centroid Technician monitored and maintained.
- Optional Centroid Factory Engineer remote or phone technical support
Runs Standard G & M Codes (see list in operator manuals)
4 Mb G code program size (unlimited optional)
True G-code back plot graphics w cutter comp moves
2000 line accell decell look ahead
1200 blocks per second
Feed rate override operator variable 0-200% at 1% increments
Plug and Play dedicated MPG port
Rapid rate override
Spindle Control. on/off cw/cw, speed w/override
12-bit analog output 0-10 VDC for VFD control
16 optically isolated inputs, user configurable
9 fused relay outputs, user configurable
Centroid Operator control pendant compatible
Six Encoder Inputs
Single 24 vdc logic power input
Spindle Encoder RPM display
Simple Menu Driven Operator Interface
Stop and Restart Job at any point
Tool Check, Jog and Restart at any point
Conductive touch probe compatible
Kinematic touch probe compatible
Dedicated Touch Probe port
6 WCS G54 - G59 (12 more optional)
4th axis software (both G code and Conversational)
Lube Pump control (user configurable to match pump type)
MDI mode with recent command memory
Programmable Auxiliary Function keys
Multiple Language Support
Stock PLC programs
User editable PLC programming
Part counter, Time, Time estimation
Simple Future Software updates available
G code editor
Backup and Restore CNC config
Message Display and Logs
True Closed Loop CNC operation
Unlimited Program Storage (only limited by hard drive size)
Large easy to read DRO display
Menu Driven Part setup
Menu Driven Tool setup
Menu driven machine configuration setup
Fill in the blank Setup Menus
CNC control configuration menu
Restart Job Automatically
Any axis can be linear or rotary axis
G-code smoothing (user adjustable)
Auto Home to switch, user selectable direction per axis
Jog to Home or Home to Marks
Software Travel Limits (+ and - directions)
User configurable Slow, Fast, Max rates
User configurable axis motor acceleration
Gcode backplot checks work envelope
G code backplot shows true cutter comp moves
Vary part backplot speed and pause
w/ G-code line display
Real Time Part Graphics, shows tool position while running
Subprograms and Macros
Engraving compatible (short vector g code no problem)
Run in Inch or MM mode
Long part names
Drilling and Tapping Cycles
USB and Network Drive Compatible
Keyboard Operator Control panel emulator,
Xkeys USB control pad compatible
Tool Life Management
Ballscrew mapping table
Control relays and contactors thru Manual or Program control
User configurable custom DIY M-codes
Constant surface speed (lathe)
Profiling with auto cleanout (lathe)
Lathe canned cycles (thread, groove, chamfer, cutoff,turning diameter and end face,
Scale input for DRO positional display of a manual axis
X/Y axis Deskew
Coordinate System Rotation
Oak Custom CNC control kits, Call or email for a quote on a custom Oak CNC control kit.
Can't decide what you need?
We will put together a Custom CNC control DIY kit for your particular CNC machine tool:
We've been upgrading machine tools since 1979 and have machine tool knowledge that can save you time and money. We can package the CNC control board, axis motors, encoders, cables, power supplies, and schematics; everything you need, into a custom DIY Oak CNC control kit specific for a specific machine tool.
Communications cable that connects a servo drive to the Oak CNC controller. One end plugs into the servo drive, and the other end plugs into the Oak CNC control board. Sold in 4 variations.
1.) Yaskawa. Works with Yaskawa Sigma 1,2,5,7 Servo drives
2.) Delta ASD-A or ASD-AB
3.) Estun ProNet
4.) Flying lead. Servo drive end of cable is left "flying lead" so user can mount any kind of connector necessary to connect to a drive other than Yaskawa, Delta or Estun.
*Yaskawa cable shown
Centroid all-in-one Touch Screen CNCPC
Use your own PC OR purchase a Centroid CNCPC
Planning to build or use your own PC as a CNCPC? Be sure the PC meets the Centroid CNCPC minimum requirements found here. The Centroid's latest CNC software requires a Windows 10 PC that meets the requirements.
- If you plan to build your own CNCPC follow the recommendations here.
- If you plan to buy your own PC we recommend the Intel NUC (be sure to purchase a NUC that meets the Centroid minimum pc requirements) and any 16:9 aspect Touch Screen monitor
- Centroid also offers for purchase CNCPC's with preloaded and pre configured software see below.
Centroid all-in-one Touch Screen CNCPC ready to go : $799 (#12786)
- Preloaded with Windows 10 and pre-configured for CNC PC duty
- Preloaded Centroid CNC software Mill and Lathe with G code Editor, Intercon, Stock PLC programs.
- 19.5" Touch Screen,4 GB ram, I3 processor
- Wifi, Ethernet, webcam with mic, card reader, usb ports
- Powercord, Keyboard, Mouse
- Centroid tested and pre qualified to work with Centroid CNC controllers
Note: Touch Screen Operators control panel has not been released for use with OAK at this time.
Centroid NUC CNCPC for use with your Touch Screen LCD display
Centroid Intel NUC CNCPC: $799 (#14366)
- Allows use of any size and type LCD Touch screen.
- Higher Performance PC than the the above Allin1PC
- Intel SSD for the best performance
Preloaded with Windows 10 and pre-configured for CNC PC duty
- Preloaded Centroid CNC software Mill and Lathe
- G code Editor
- Intercon Conversational
- Stock PLC programs
- Touch Screen Operator Control panel.
- Intel I3 processor, 4GB ram, SSD (solid state drive)
Display port, HDMI, Ethernet, USB - Centroid tested and pre qualified to work with Centroid CNC controllers
Centroid CNC Operator's Console, Mill or Lathe versions with or without CNCPC
- 15" Touch Screen full color LCD display
- Dedicated Operator Control Panel with extra programmable buttons
- USB ports
- Thin at 2.88" Thick
- Made in USA Steel construction
- Uses Standard USB keyboards, keyboard included
- Variety of mounting possibilities
- Compatible with Allin1DC, OAK and MPU11 systems. (not compatible with Acorn)
- Optional Custom Control Panel Overlays are made to order for specialty machine tools. call or email for details.
- Optional pre assembled "Console to Electrical cabinet cable in conduit" Standard size: 16' cables with 6' conduit $405 (part# 11028) add $28.50 for each foot additional conduit length.
Available with built-in CNCPC or without CNCPC.
Available in "panel mount" configuration for mounting in existing console enclosure. (Panel Mount = made to bolt into an existing machine tool console space. Typically used on large machines with a preexisting CNC control so existing console hardware can be re purposed with new Centroid CNC operators console. )
Build your own console to machine mounting hardware or use any of Centroid various Arm and Console Floor Stand mounting options, see below..
Centroid Operator's Control Pendant, Mill, Lathe or Router versions
Same control panel that is on the M400/T400 CNC consoles but placed in a box with a cord.
This Operator's Control Pendant allows the operator to take the controls to where the work is.
PLCAdd1616 I/O expansion board. Add on additional Inputs and Outputs to the Allin1DC $445 (#11025)
- Add an additional 16 optically isolated inputs and 16 relay outputs to the Allin1DC
- Plug and Play, PLCAdd1616 to Oak communication cable included.
- Typically used to control an Automatic Tool Changer
- User definable inputs and outputs
- User configurable, commanded by the Allin1DC PLC program
- PLCAdd1616 user manual
Add4AD4DA expansion board. Add an additional analog to digital inputs and digital to analog outputs to the Oak $550 (11141)
- Add additional 4 analog to digital inputs and 4 analog to digital
- Plug and Play, Add4AD4DA to Oak communication cable included
- Typically used for multiple spindle machines tools with individual VFD's for each
- User configurable, commanded by the Oak PLC program
- Add4AD4DA user manual
Oak optional CNC software and hardware
Menu driven Probing Cycles with DP-4 Probe
Centroid Probing cycles are used to make part setup faster and more accurate with less work. Easily find centers or bores, corner of parts or vise in seconds with fantastic accuracy. If your shop is always tearing down and setting for different jobs Centroid Probing pays for itself in a very short time. Centroid's probing package includes the Centroid DP-4 probe, the Centroid menu driven probing cycles and Coordinate System Rotation. The Centroid menu driven probing cycles are as follows. Bore, Boss, Inside Corner, Outside Corner, Edge, Slot, Web, Single Axis.see the
Centroid Probing brochure
Menu driven Digitizing cycles with DP-4 Probe
Centroid Digitizing Cycles are commonly used to copy 2D or 3D shapes and contours of an existing part. Commonly used for reverse engineering the Centroid digitizing data can be exported to a cad cam system for further geometry manipulation or run as a G code program immediately. see the Centroid Digitizing Brochure
Menu driven Automatic Tool Measurement with TT-1 probe
Set up your tools in a quarter of the time it would normally take! If you often machine short-run parts and are always setting up and tearing down for a new job, the TT-1 Auto tool set will save you tons of time while more accurately setting your tool height offsets. With the TT-1 you can create more parts per hour since the tool setup is so much faster. You'll even save time when you have to replace a dull tool with a new one in the middle of a job. The TT-1 is completely automatic. Press "measure" and the tool will automatically touch off the TT-1 and set the tool height offset in the tool library. Requires conductive tooling and spindle. Download TT-1 brochure click here.
Menu driven Automatic Tool Measurement with TT-2 probe
Operates exactly like the TT-1 but this design is mechanical in nature. The TT-2 works with all types of tooling and spindles. The non-conductive mechanical design is compatible with machines that have non-conductive ceramic spindle bearings and with all types of tools such as non-conductive diamond tooling. Backward compatible with most CENTROID CNC controls that have a black probe plug (cnc7,cnc10 and cnc11 based systems). Uses same cable and connectors as our DP-4 and DP-7 probes. There are three base mounting options: magnetic, screw down or tool holder. The Carbide surface is also replaceable and has a 4-48 thread. Download TT-2 brochure click here.
Oak CNC Software Options
Unlimited G-code program size
Standard G-code program size for Oak CNC control system is 4Mb which is more than enough for most shops. However, if large complex 3D or 5-axis G-code programs are being run, they can exceed the 4Mb file size so that's where the Centroid Unlimited G-code program files size option come in
CENTROID's advanced rigid tapping cycles are simple to program through G-code, Cad/Cam or Intercon. In Intercon, you get an extra cycle called Deep Hole Rigid Tapping, (see a video here) Deep Hole tapping taps a hole much in the same way as you would by hand. It backs out of the thread to clear the chips and then matches right back up with the new threads and continues the tapping. Another advantage of deep hole tapping is that it allows you to tap a much larger hole than the HP of your machine would normally allow.
Millwrite Conversational Engraving Software
Fast and easy conversational style Engraving. Type in Letters and Number and simple size and place them without any CAD/CAM knowledge. Import customers logos and scale to any size.
BCD Tool Change output
Allows the command and control of a Automatic Tool Changer such as a Swing Arm or Umbrella Type Tool Changer.
Scale Feedback for servo motor positioning
Allows the use of precision glass scales for machine/servo motor positional feedback. Typically used on large high performance machine tools. (not to be confused with Scale Feedback for DRO position display of a manual axis which is included with base level Centroid CNC software)
C axis software
Allows the command and control of C axis functionality on a Lathe
Advanced software servo motor pairing
Software Axis pairing allows any two axis to be paired within Centroid CNC software and supports advanced homing, squaring and syncing feature set for axis pairing.
5+ axis simultaneous cnc software
Allows 5 axis, 6 axis simultaneous interpolated motion.
Note: 4 +1 (or any other combination not using 5+ simultaneous motion) is included in the Oak CNC software.
5+ axis is US Government controlled technology and any sale is governed by Department of Commerce regulations and requires export paper work.
Extended Multiple Work Coordinate Systems (WCS) G54 P1-P12) G54-G59 is included, this option adds 12 more individual WCS positions for a total of 18.
Offline Intercon Conversational programming software, Mill and Lathe $99 (10730)
Offline version of INTERCON conversational programming, for use with Windows desktop PC*, $99
- Program parts in the comfort of your office.
- Program while the machine is running a job.
- Easy part program transfer from your PC to the control via LAN or USB.
- True G-code backplot graphics, see exactly what the machine toolpath will be.
- Use on the same PC as your CAD system.
- A USB Keylock allows user to install software on as many computers as they want.
- Offline programming USB keylock is shipped the next business day.
- Works with Windows 7/8/10
Industrial quality Estop Button with 2 contact closures: $45 #14534
- Industrial quality reliable Emergency Stop Button with two switches.
- Two contact closures for two estop circuits
- Use just one contact closure or use both
- For use with the Acorn, Allin1dc and Oak CNC control boards.
- Thru Hole Panel Mount